We wanted to wish you all the best for 2015, and to give you a sneak preview of what will be coming up for 2015.
In 2015, we will be kicking January off with three exciting events: an exhibition tour of Tom Burrows' exhibition at the Belkin Gallery, a visit to the studio of Tiziana La Melia, 2014 winner of the RBC Painting Prize and a Tour of three art spaces and exhibitions in Chinatown. We have a great couple of collection tours planned for the early spring, one collection has over 1,200 pieces, very impressive! The CASV and its members will also be going a bit further afield, visiting some inspiring spaces and collections in North Vancouver. It is going to a spring of cherry blossoms and well, ART!
2014 was a very busy year for the CASV.
If you ever needed reasons to convince a friend or art lover to Join the CASV just show them this list of great programming events we hosted in 2014. Proof positive that the membership is well worth the investment!
Here is a 2014 recap on what our members got up to...
The CASV successfully completed the second iteration of the CASV Emerging Artis Prize Award and Exhibition at Access Gallery. Special thanks again to CASV EAP Committee for growing the Award, and the awareness. Thanks to several fundraising initiatives, this year we were able to gift a larger amount towards supporting the winner Joseph Staples and the nominated artists: Laura Piasta, Erdem Tasdelen, Derya Akay, Byron Peters. Thanks to the jury members again as well: Grant Arnold (Audain Curator of British Columbia Art, Vancouver Art Gallery); Vanessa Kwan, artist and programmer; Sarah Macaulay (Macaulay Fine Art); Kimberly Phillips (Director/Curator of Access Gallery), and Reid Shier (Director of Presentation House Gallery).
We completed artist studio visits with:
- Kingston Prize nominees - Fiona Ackerman and Roselina Hung
- Contemporary painter - Andy Dixon
- Sobey Art Award 2014 Longlist Nominee - Dan Starling
- Printmaker, Animator, and Teacher - Diyan Achjadi
- 2014 CASV Emerging Artist Prize Winner - Joseph Staples
- Vancouver based prolific photographer and videographer - Carol Sawyer
- 2013 Artist in Residence at Yamanashi, Japan - Derya Akay
- 2014 RBC Painting shortlisted artist - Laura Piasta
We hosted several artist talks with:
- Candian Painter and Emily Carr Graduate - Kim Dorland
- RBC Painting Competition Winner - Colleen Heslin
- Artist, Teacher and CASV Emerging Artist Prize Nominee - Erdem Tasdelen
We also completed some amazing tours and talks:
- The CASV Membership was invited to Canadian Art's Sarah Thornton book Tour at Van City Theatre
- The CASV was a partner with the Canadian Art Foundation on the Vancouver Art Hop
- In May the CASV hosted at the Richmond Art Gallery a reception on Collecting Contemporary Art featuring: Kate Bellringer, Director of Contemporary and Canadian Art Auctions at Maynards Fine Art and Antiques, Wil Aballe, Dealer and Owner of Wil Aballe Art Projects and Donna Partridge, private collector and Manager of Art Rental and Sales at the Vancouver Art Gallery. The talk was moderated by Gallery Director Rachel Rosenfiled Lafo.
- In June the CASV headed to Paris for a tour of several amazing art centres, galleries and studios in Paris, including: Palais de Tokyo, Galerie Emmanuel Perrotin, Foundation Cartier pour l'Art Contemporain, and SAM Art Projects
- In September CASV's Programmer - Sunshine Frere - Lead the society on a tour of three fantastic new contemporary art spaces in Mount Pleasant in Vancouver: Burrard Arts Foundation, Fazakas Gallery and Field Contemporary
- In October the CASV headed to Toronto to take in Feature Art Fair, Art Toronto, studio visits, corporate collection visits, and Exhibition tours of The Power Plant, the Art Gallery of Ontario and the Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art
- In October, The National Gallery of Canada's Curator of Photography Ann Thomas gave the CASV a tour of the NGC's Flora and Fauna Tour at the Surrey Art Gallery
- The CASV also visited a private collection in West Vancouver, the Hotel Georgia's Art Collection, and The Mircea Cantor Exhibition at the Rennie Collection.
Phew! Busy year indeed. Here is to another exciting year of 'Arting'.
Happy Holidays and see you all in January!
We hope you enjoyed this year's programming and from all members of the CASV Board, we wish you all the best in 2015!